The Student workstream will look to work closely with the DSU to give the Students a chance to co- create and define the shape of Decolonising DMU. The stream will enable existing groups to better reach the students using a partnership approach to student facing activities.
The aims of the stream are:
- To empower and support students in Decolonising DMU
- To raise awareness of the attainment gap, the experiences of students of colour, and the work of the project
- To create safe spaces that drive the conversation
- To support and encourage student-led events and activities
- The engage with existing champions in decolonisation
Student Diary Study
We are looking for student volunteers to keep a research diary that catalogues your experiences of Higher Education. More information about what this involves is available here https://decolonisingdmu.our.dmu.ac.uk/research-work-stream/student-diary-study/
Through #DMUglobal, the university offers a wide range of opportunities for DMU students to study, work and volunteer overseas as part of their degree.
The Freedom to Achieve project partnered with DMU Global for a number of trips, exploring identity and success of black and minority ethnic communities in New York City and Silicon Valley.
Other student-focused projects at DMU
Dare to Be Mentoring
Dare to Be Mentoring is a mentoring scheme open to all students, where students are matched with trained mentors to help them develop their confidence, self belief, and motivation, support students in their studies and to reach their own potential.
Leicester’s Future Leaders
The Leicester’s Future Leaders project runs from 2019-2022 with two main aims:
- Deliver positive graduate outcomes and the reduction of DMU’s BAME graduate progression gap through the increased recruitment of BAME graduates in Leicester
- Support businesses and the local economy by raising awareness of the value of a diverse graduate workforce and providing a practical toolkit for implementing more inclusive recruitment practices